The U.S. House of Representatives has approved a bill to repeal / replace the Affordable Care Act (ACA). As changes are being made in the Senate, please tell your Senator that it is important to preserve in the ACA what has been good for Medicare beneficiaries. This includes:
- Medicare beneficiaries’ preventive screenings.
- Closing the Medicare Part D "donut hole" which is the difference between what a beneficiary has to pay after reaching the initial coverage limit and the amount the government pays for "catastrophic" drug coverage.
- Rewarding reimbursement to health plans, doctors and other medical care providers if they improve health outcomes and quality.
A full repeal of the ACA would have the following impact on Medicare:
- 14% Subsides Paid to Medicare Advantage Plans which will deplete the Medicare Trust Fund faster.
- 0.9% Medicare Part A payroll tax on earnings over $200,000 would be lost, shortening the life of Medicare
- Budget that supports HHS Innovation Center would be lost.
- ACA slowed spending per Medicare beneficiary could be lost
To find your US Senators phone numbers, email addresses and street addresses, go to https://www.senate.gov/ and select your state in the box on the upper left of the page.